The Odierno Law Firm, P.C. Can Help After an Auto Accident
After a car accident or another type of accident, it can be difficult to regain your health, your feelings of confidence, or even your ability to feel safe. Many are understandably shaken dealing with the physical and mental repercussions of serious injuries in addition to uncertainty about their financial future. If you are involved in an accident that has resulted in personal injury to you, it is important that you consider filing a personal injury claim. By speaking with a Long Island personal injury attorney, you can gain insight on your best course of action and prevent any issues that could result in a lowered compensation amount.
Questions about what to do after a car accident? We can help! Contact The Odierno Law Firm, P.C. today!
Many people do not realize the hardship that medical bills and other expenses from the accident can cause until the situation gets serious, with bills piling up and a limited ability to pay. Unfortunately, this too often leads to lowered credit and bankruptcy. There is a short amount of time in which you may file a claim, so it is best to have your claim reviewed as soon as possible. If you are unsure as to whether you have a case, the best thing to do is have a Long Island car accident attorney review the details of the accident.
Steps To Take After a Car Accident Injury
#1: Call emergency services or seek medical care right away.
- The first and most important step is to receive the proper medical care. Even if you believe that you may not be seriously injured, it is best to have yourself evaluated by a doctor. In many cases, the pain from an injury does not show up until hours or even days later. This will not only ensure that the car accident injuries are assessed and treated, but it will also provide immediate medical documentation which will later be helpful when you file a claim.
#2: Call law enforcement and report the accident.
- If you have been injured in a car accident, it is important to report it to the police. In some types of accidents, it is not necessary to report to the police. However, promptly reporting that the accident has occurred can provide you with documentation of the accident. It is extremely important to never give any details in any type of report as to why you think that accident occurred or whether or not you believe you may have been partially at fault.
#3: Get the names and contact information of witnesses.
- In most types of accidents, it is important to get the names of anyone that may have witnessed the accident. This could be a co-worker, bystander or simply someone walking down the street at the time of the accident. They may be called upon to provide testimonial.
#4: Write down what happened and take photos.
- If you have a camera, take photos of the accident. Some people choose to keep a disposable camera in their glove compartment; others simply use the cameras in their phones. The photos may be used as evidence at a later date and could back up your claim. Write down what occurred being as specific as possible also, noting the weather, the area, how you feel, and what you remember.
#5: Do not admit fault to the other driver or their insurance company.
- After an accident, it is natural to want to take the blame even when it is not true. The period after a serious accident is emotional and in many cases, very confusing as to what actually occurred. It is natural to feel guilty, even when you are not at fault, as this is often part of human nature. Unfortunately, the responsible party or insurance companies may use your apology to keep from paying you your just compensation. Refrain from discussing the accident if at all possible.
#6: Speak with a Long Island personal injury attorney immediately.
- Speak with a personal injury lawyer as early on in the process as possible. If you wish to speak with an attorney before reporting the accident your insurance company, you may do so. An attorney will greatly improve your chances of receiving fair compensation for your injuries.
Connect with Our Car Accident Attorneys in Long Island
Accidents can happen to anyone, even the most careful drivers who follow all the safety rules and the law. In some tragic cases, lives are lost, or an innocent person is left with lifelong, serious injuries. Wading through the system in order to get the compensation you deserve can be daunting.
Insurance companies are notorious for all the following:
- Offering inadequate settlements
- Delaying payment
- Challenging claims
- Overall making the process difficult
Don’t be a victim of the process. The team at The Odierno Law Firm, P.C. is highly skilled in helping the injured recover the compensation that is deserved, and is here to help you at every step.
Connect with our firm for immediate assistance, and a free case evaluation.
Dedicated To You
We are committed to getting you the compensation you deserve for the injuries you have sustained. We are determined to fight for you. We have a no recovery, no fee policy, so you don’t pay unless we win.
- You Will Not Pay Us Unless We Win Your Case
- Our Firm is Backed By Trial Success & Client Satisfaction
- We Will Review Your Personal Injury Claim For Free
- We Have Over 150 Years of Combined Legal Experience